Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Introduction Part Two

Regal Review RF

(Regal Basque x Wild Eyed Rose)

 

 

 Reggie's sire: Regal Basque


Known to those that love him as Reggie, Sir Reginald, Wedgie, Goober etc. is a 2003 model Half-Arabian/NSH. Reggie is the founding member of my Nerd Herd. He is a card carrying member of the Goober Club (holds the office of President) as well. I have known him since he was just this little fluffball:

I mean, seriously!

I fell in love with him soon after he was foaled. I visited he and Rose before they were mine at my friends' farm near my hometown. I was in college at the time so wasn't around much and he left after weaning for training and the show life. He showed the fall of my senior year in the yearling class at National Show Horse finals and was Reserve National Champion. 

Such a handsome fellow!

Upon graduation, I took a job as a groom at a show barn about 3.5 hours from home. This allowed me to still come home for long weekends and of course I as out at the barn every chance I got. Reggie was home from his escapades in the show ring, awkward and growthy and still a stallion. I doted on him. There was just something about him. He had grown from that adorable fuzzy foal into a handsome, rose-grey yearling. At NSH Finals in September, working at the Stallion Row table, I listened with my heart on the floor as person after person inquired about Reggie and whether or not he was for sale. I silently braced myself for his inevitable departure. Such is the risk when you fall in love with horses that don't belong to you. In late October I was on my way to a party my employer was hosting when I got a phone call that changed my life. I had been body clipping, cleaning stalls, turning horses out, exercising horses at my friends' farm whenever I was home for a good 5-6 years at this point. I was told that they appreciated my work so much and that they were so proud of my accomplishments. Long story short, I had to pull over and cry happy tears because I had just accepted the gift of the horse that I adored. I was stunned. People don't just gift you Reserve National Champion horses... Do they?! I was convinced I was dreaming. I still occasionally pinch myself just to be sure.

A month later it was official. Reggie was mine. For the duration, he would stay where he was and I would be home on the weekends. Only this time, I didn't have to worry about him being sold and leaving me. Because *I* called the shots now! Even more incredible, Reggie is half-sibling to my all-time favorite show mare, Second Edition's Debut aka Honey. That mare... was incredible. She didn't trot, she floated. I am heartbroken that I cannot find photos or videos of her showing. The interwebs seem to be devoid of that lovely mare and that is a crying shame. It was on my bucket list to sit in her saddle. Just once was all I needed. But sadly, she passed in 2010. This is the only photo I can find of that gorgeous girl. 



Reggie and I have grown up together. He went from halter trained, gawky teenager to a lovely, mischievous saddle horse. Reggie has the biggest personality. He is a dorkfish to the core. Never takes anything seriously (except goofing around). When I had him in training, getting finished as a Country English Pleasure horse, he would aggravate his trainer to the point she would smack his shoulder and yell at him, and then turn back to him and she'd say 'Ohhhh, Reggie' while she laughed because he would make the most adorable, beguiling face. No matter what he does, you cannot stay mad at him. It is impossible. Dare you to try it. Make sure you bring treats, because he's going to con you out of them when you stop being mad at him. Guaranteed. He may grow old, but he will never grow up.

I was a good boy?!

Reggie is 15 this year. 15, going on 4. I don't have the money to put him into serious training (not to mention, my desired trainer is 8 hours away) so he and I are figuring this out on our own. We showed under saddle. I may share the videos from his first few shows at a later date. This post has enough Reggie-spam for one day. We also tried our hands at halter at the Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show and earned a Top Ten. He was perfect, I was a ball of nerves. He's now semi-retired, at least from the show ring. If we find something fun, we may attend. We will be working on getting back into sync with each other this summer. Both of us need to get into a shape that isn't round. The crew at the barn goes on trail rides over weekends in the summer. I usually hold down the home fort while they're gone but we may try to go with on a ride or two this summer. We've got some work to do. Reggie is working on learning how not to be a show horse. On our inaugural trail ride just down the road last summer, he was pretty sure he was trying to impress his new friends and had his head perfectly set (on a loose rein, LMAO and people asked why I only had a teeny tiny curb on him in the show ring. He sets his head perfectly in a snaffle bit with no contact, that's why). He even added some fun vocalizations along the way. Such a drama king! At least he looked pretty doing it? To quote Aaron Rodgers, Reggie is going to learn to "R-E-L-A-X" this summer. 


Custom Packers tack from WhinneyWear!


Horrible cell phone pic, but schooling for halter in Scottsdale!

Gooberface


The Adorable-Snowman

Strutting his stuff
 Moar treats, woman!

Creeeeeeeeeeper


He is my first horse. He is my heart horse. He is a blast to ride but he is not an easy ride. He has all kinds of buttons and levers to push and pull to make him do what he's supposed to. He HATES walking. Has to be forced and worked down to it. Why walk when you can trot or CANTERRRRRRR and show off your inner desert stallion? He has taught me so much, not only about riding and horsemanship, but about myself. I have patience I never knew I possessed. He is a constant comedian, or to quote my favorite author, "a constant jackass." Unintentionally of course. He is just wired that way. He's constantly just thinkingmovingdoing. I. Adore. That. Horse. When I am with him, everything in the world disappears. When I sit in his saddle, I am complete. He is the gift I did not know I needed.

My Happy Place

My Heart <3




3 comments:

  1. 😍😍😍Reg-man! I'm not gonna lie, "constant jackass" made me grin. He's such a goober, but so perfect for you! I hope you guys have a blast trail riding this summer while he learns to R-E-L-A-X 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's the goofiest, and I can't believe he's 15! Where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, he was 2... yesterday. He gets older, but he doesn't grow up :)

      Delete

A New Feeling

My heart is so full. ❤️ The trip to Syracuse went better than I ever imagined. When my plane landed, I was exhausted. My journey was sup...