Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Clear As Mud

So, this summer has been the polar opposite of last summer. In a good (but frustrating) way. Last summer, the pasture was not growing to keep up with the horses grazing on it. We didn't have rain from early June through much of July (a few sprinkles here and there but nothing measurable) so everything was dry and toasty.

This summer we have had plenty of rain! It comes in deluges in storms that flood everything and make puddles in the low parts of the pens. When I do chores at the barn, the owner's horses like to hide their feed pans out in the middle of the boggy mud like they were playing boats or something. Joke's on them, I make them eat out of the pans I'm feeding from. I win!

But the rain also means the outdoor arena is in similar condition which means no consistent work. Le sigh.

One night I was out doing evening feeding and there was a storm moving off, I was trying to take a photo of the rainbow the storm had produced in the sunset and Vienna came up to me at the fence, put her head over my shoulder and kept nudging my hand. I thought she wanted pets, but the little stinker wanted to take a selfie. So here... this is Miss V's selfie by request.


Not sure why it turned it, it's normal in the folder and on my phone. Freaking google...





I got them all snazzy new flymasks to fit their coloring/personalities. Reggie's is a grey/black pattern, Rose is blue with yellow, pink and teal. Vienna's is a fun magenta and orange design.
Isn't it cute?

Except, when I came out to the barn this weekend... Reggie and Vienna were both sans masks. What the heck guys. So Rose, being the model citizen she is and kept her mask on, also was gifted shoofly leggins. She LOVES them. She walked like a chicken (holy hocks batman!) for a few min and then realized she looked silly and relaxed. I found Reggie's mask cleverly hidden between the gate and the barn so he was masked. But even after hiking the pasture, Vienna's was nowhere to be found.

Shoofly leggins! Snazzy

So, of course, as soon as I ordered Vienna's replacement mask and it shipped. Guess what Barn Owner's husband found in the tree line when he was mowing? Yuuuup. The missing mask. So, now I have a spare, and I have 3 properly appointed super heroes again.

I leave you with one last gratuitous photo of my sweet (but naughty) girl, hopefully more updates with her. Productive updates! Coming soon...

<3  
How are your summers going? Any fun projects with your horses? What are you working on?
 



2 comments:

  1. I wish you could send some of your rain this way, we could use it! They all look so cute in their masks 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obsessed with your cute masks! My horse's head is size giant and the fun ones don't come bigger than horse, womp womp womp. Sorry about your rain, but at least there will be pasture and hopefully a good hay season up there. Feel free to send some rain to the south, we've been a bit dry down here!

    ReplyDelete

A New Feeling

My heart is so full. ❤️ The trip to Syracuse went better than I ever imagined. When my plane landed, I was exhausted. My journey was sup...